Wednesday, August 29, 2012

True Courage

Webster's definition of courage is "Mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty."  We normally associate the word with policeman, firefighters, and soldiers.  Which we definitely should, they put their lives on the line every day, when they put on their uniform and go to work.  These men and women wear the badge of courage and I am thankful they do.  I am thankful to my nephew Travis who is a policeman, I am thankful to my nephew Jake who is a fireman, and I am thankful to my nephews Austin and Dalton who serve in the military.  But these men choose each day to put on that uniform, they choose each day to possibly face death.  

What about the men, women, and children who show that same courage everyday, those who didn't choose it, yet who still face death each day.  I am talking about those courageous people who face cancer daily.

Over the past 18 months I have watched 2 women I love show such courage, along with grace, kindness, hope and faith.

I watched my Aunt Joyce face cancer with such dignity, grace, kindness and courage.  I watched her go to countless Dr's appointments, and be admitted to the hospital numerous times, and each time I watched her treat everyone she came in contact with, with  kindness.  Smile when I am sure she didn't feel like it.  She was always appreciative of everyone.  Every Dr, nurse, technician, receptionist, every hospital transporter, and the person who cleaned her room.  Every person who came to visit.  If I had been in her shoes I am sure there were times I would have just screamed "Everyone get out and leave me alone!  I want to feel sorry for myself!  But she never did, not even when she had 2 major surgeries back to back. She showed courage when she had to choose on short notice to have brain surgery or probably lose her life in just a couple of weeks.  She said no I am not ready to give up yet, true perseverance.  She was always gracious and kind to everyone just like the life she lived when she was well.

During this same time I also watched my Sister-in-law, Brenda fight a courageous battle against breast cancer.    She was always upbeat, even when she was taking chemo, radiation, and having to go through blood transfusions.  When she was exhausted from all the treatments she still pushed on.  She was always full of hope, and she brought hope to others who were fighting cancer also.  She used the cancer as a platform to share how great her God is.  She wasn't sure why God had given her this challenge, but she was willing to bear it if she could use it to uplift and encourage others.  She was a source of hope and faith to her family, friends and all those around here.  She made sure to give God the praise and glory when she reached that 6 month cancer free mark.  

In the past week I have watched that same courage resurface, anew in both these women's lives. I watched it in my aunt's life, in her husband and daughter.  As they were given the news that she probably only had days left.  I watched that legacy of courage she had instilled in them.  The courage it takes to sit by the bed of someone you love, and watch their life slip away.  But they are doing it, with that same kindness and grace that she showed.

I saw it again in my sister-in-law this week, as she found a lump in her neck.  As she went for x-rays, and biopsies, and  test results. As she had to once again break the news to her kids.  She displayed that same courage, faith and hope.  That courage and hope she held onto the first time.  I think her words were, I will fight to the end I have to for my family that I love.

In Joshua 1:9 God says to Joshua "This is my command.  Be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you where ever you go."  Thank you Aunt Joyce and Brenda, for living out that verse for me and all those around you.  I love you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment