Thursday, June 23, 2016

Yearly Review



One thing about working for your family is that there are no yearly reviews.  A part of me misses them, because lets face it, they are a form of validation.  If your love language is words of encouragement and your a people pleaser a review is validation.

I do remember yearly reviews at Edward Jones though.  I worked at a call center in their insurance services department.  If you have ever worked at a call center you know that your main goal is to answer as many calls as kindly, and efficiently as possible.  At some point you reach your max, you can only do so many in a matter of time.

As I was reading in Ephesians this morning I was reminded of reviews.  As I read Ephesians 1:14 the last half of the verse says "he purchased us to be his own people.  He did this so we would praise  and glorify him."  Praise and glorify HIM.  God's plan has always been for us to praise and glorify him. That's my job here on earth.  Like the number of calls at Jones that is my one goal, praise and glorify the father.  I wondered how does my yearly review look?  How does yours look?

After being on the call center for a few years at Jones I became a team leader.  For me doing reviews on other people was not as enjoyable as being the one reviewed.  It was important to balance out positive and negative feed back for people and give both in a positive manner.  To not just focus on what they needed to improve on.

But you know what else we read in Ephesians?  Ephesians 1:4 "Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes."  That blows my mind, because that people pleaser in me struggles with God's review of me.  That he sees me holy and without fault.  But he doesn't see me that way because of me or anything that I have done or not done. He doesn't see me that way because I do such a good job at praising and glorifying him (because I fall short so often).  He sees me that way because of his Son Jesus.  It's like Jesus steps in that review, stands in front of me and blocks all the bad things so God doesn't see them.  My pride, my anger, my selfishness, my bad mood, those darkest things in my heart, and thoughts in my head that I want no one else to see.   When I become his child, Jesus blocks all those and God, the creator of the universe, the CEO of the world sees me as a perfect employee.

Thank you God for sending your son to stand in my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment