Tuesday, August 9, 2016

"I QUIT" From The Mouth of Babes

First of all, I have to describe DJ to you.  He is about 3 feet tall, cute as a button, full of energy, the most expressive facial expressions I've ever seen, and a genius in my eyes.  Oh, and did I mention he is 4 years old, (I think).  Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I passed him and his Mom in the aisle at church.  I asked "DJ how is it going?" He replied, "I quit church!" His Mom explained that he had not gotten his way, and his response to that was that he was going to quit church.

I said "DJ, you don't want to be a quitter do you?"  He said "No but I still quit."

I laughed because DJ almost always makes me laugh.

But DJ's response has stuck with me over the last couple of weeks.  Different people have expressed that they were quitting things in their lives and I thought of DJ.

DJ's response was no different than most adults response.  When something doesn't go our way, when we are not happy with an outcome, when things get too hard, we simply decide to quit.  We quit on dieting, we quit on exercise, we quit jobs, we quit marriages, we quit ministry.   And even as adults like DJ we quit church.

But quitting is not what God calls us to do.  There are many verses in the bible that talk about not quitting.

    Colossians 1:11 "Being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you 
    may have great endurance and patience."

   Galations 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a 
   harvest if we do not give up."

   James 1:12 "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial."

God knew this life would be hard, that's why there are verses to encourage us not to give up.  

Think about it. I am sure there were times Jesus wanted to give up.  When the people were pushing in, the crowds kept coming, he was tired and hungry, but he didn't quit.  When the disciples spent years with him and still didn't get it, he didn't quit on them.  

Most important, the hardest trial in his life, the cross.  He didn't give up. He didn't quit. Even though he could have.  He saw it through, and because he did, you and I have the promise of eternal life.

What is it that you are contemplating giving up on right now?  Your job, your spouse, your health, your sobriety?  Don't do it! Don't give up!  Don't be a quitter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment