Monday, May 15, 2017

It''s Scary in the Dark!


Since the weather is warm Brett and I are trying to get back in the habit of walking before work. Right now that means it is still dark when we start out. It is so hard to crawl out of bed to walk when it is dark.  We have knuckle lights but usually only turn them on if a car is coming toward us. Brett doesn't like the light bouncing around while we are walking, so we walk in the dark.

This sometimes causes me stress.  Which makes no sense, because the place we walk is the exact spot we walk when it is light.  I know the way.  I know the surroundings.  I know there are not things waiting to jump out and get me.  When it is light out, I feel no anxiety.  What makes the difference.

In the light, I can see everything around me.  In the light, a stick in the road doesn't look like a snake. In the light, the movement of the branches doesn't become something out to get me.  In the light, the hole in the road doesn't jump out and trip me,(OK sometimes it does). In the light, cars can see me better.  In the light, you can see when sudden noises are just a squirrel or bird skittering by.

THE LIGHT TAKES AWAY MY FEARS.

There is such a lesson here.  When I am walking in the light of Jesus, I should not feel anxiety either.

When I am walking in His light, I know the difference between truth and a lie.  In His light my selfishness becomes clear.  In His light, my pride stands out.  In His light, my sins are not lurking in the shadows to trip me up.  I can face them head on and deal with them.  In His light I know he loves me.  In His light, I am enough.  In His light, HE is enough.

Walking in the dark makes us anxious and afraid.  Walking in the light calms our fears.

John 12:35-36 "Jesus replied, "my light will shine for you just a little longer. Walk in the light while you can so the darkness will not overtake you.  Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going.  Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light."
         

No comments:

Post a Comment