Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baseball Season

May again already.  It doesn't seem possible.  For my household May means the beginning of baseball season.  It means Cubs and Miners.  Brett and Chris analyzing and "discussing" the team.  How they would manage and rebuild.  I must admit as they have both grown in age, and the Lord, baseball season isn't as stressful as it used to be.  Proud of my men.

Baseball season for us, for the last six years, has also included the Frontier League's, Southern Illinois Miners.  We have been season ticket holders for six years and host parents for 5.  And it has brought many hours of fun and entertainment.

Our intention was to take a year off this season and not host.  However, as the season drew closer we were questioning that decision.  Then when Terra called, and said hey I am looking for a family close to town do you know of anyone who might be interested?  I knew it was a sign.  I said yeah in fact I do.  Soooo here we go again.

So what does hosting mean?  For us it means "adopting" a "summer son".  I can't have someone live with us for the summer and not be a part of our family.  For the first couple of weeks it means a little anxiousness and nervousness.  You want them to feel welcome, but you don't want to smother them, and have them think you are some weird stalker.  It means finding a new routine.  It means Brett no sitting around in your underwear.  It means no going to the kitchen in the middle of the night for a glass of water in your t-shirt and underwear.  You don't want to scar them for life.  It means trying to figure out what they like to eat, because they are always too nice to tell you what they like.  It means sharing the washer and dryer, so making sure you don't leave your unmentionables in the dryer.

In the four years of hosting we have experienced stitches from a golf ball, shoulder surgery, pulled hamstrings, and hurt wrists. One year we turned the dining room into an extra bedroom to take an extra player.  We have had the heart ache of seeing guys cut from the team, and the sad reality of seeing the dream of baseball end for some.  We also got to share in the elation of seeing one called up to a major league affiliated team. Once in awhile it means waking up to an unexpected teammate on your couch. It means trying to make as many games as you can. I have learned more about the ins and outs of baseball than I ever expected to know.

What else does it mean?  It means God expands my little corner of the world, while I sit right here in the middle of Southern Illinois.  In the last 4 years of hosting we have had the privilege of getting to host 9  wonderful players.  Along with those guys, came the honor of getting to meet a wife, girlfriends, parents, in-laws, Nanas and grandpas, aunts and uncles. I have new friends in California, Ohio, Iowa, and Canada.  Friends I would never have met without hosting.

Hebrews 13:2 says Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers.  So, as I sit here waiting the arrival of my  new "summer son".  I am anxious to see what new friends I make this summer.  And I encourage you, when you have the chance, open your home to a stranger.  They won't be a stranger long, and who knows how many new friends God might bless you with.
Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment