Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Kiss

Kiss me like you mean it
Hold me like you will never let go, and 
Let me see love reflected in your eyes


I got to thinking about what the three main things are that I want from Brett.  And these are the first three that came to mind.   To do one blog on all three would be too long.  It is my goal to keep these posts short, so they are easy to read in a few  minutes.   So I am going to break this into three different posts and will blog about the other two at a later time.     

"Kiss me like you mean it."  Now, let me start out by saying that Brett is a GREAT kisser.  He always has been.  With that being said, we have been married for 32 years and together two years before that.  So that is a lot of years to keep kissing the same set of lips and not take them for granted.    

Recently, my sister in law Tory and I got to sneak away in the middle of the week and catch a cubs day game.  The sun was out in the bleachers, the sky was a perfect blue, Reed Johnson was right on the field in front of us  and the cubs won.  It was a perfect day.  After the game it took us awhile to find our way back to our vehicle. We were lost. Thank you nice young man on the street corner, with your phone app, for pointing two middle age ladies in the right direction. We were at least smart enough to remember the name of the bar and grill that we parked behind.  Anyway, when we got to the parking lot there was only our car and one other left.   Standing beside the other vehicle were a man and woman locked in a deep passionate kiss.  They were kissing from the time we walked up, to the time Tory backed out the car, and I got in, and still while we pulled away.  I got in the car and said "I want to be kissed like that."

So what was I really saying?  I realize that those two possible met in that bar that afternoon, and the guy was trying to make a good impression with that kiss.  Maybe they both were.  Was it the passion in the kiss I was envying?  Maybe, I am pretty sure they were going to have to send a search and rescue team to locate his tongue in her throat. Was it the length of the kiss?  Could be, I am guessing she had a neck ache by the time it was finished, he was a pretty tall guy.   

What  really  drew my attention to that kiss, was that they were so engrossed in each other.  They didn't know there was anyone else around. The building behind them could have blown up and I don't think they would have known.  The only thing they were focused on was each other.  It was a kiss that said I am totally committed to only this right now.  This is the only thing that has my attention.


As I thought more about that, I began to realize, that I am probably the culprit not Brett.  How often does it happen that Brett comes to kiss me, and I am in the kitchen doing something.  What is it about men and the kitchen?  I am more worried about what might be heating on the stove than what could be heating up between us.  Or he comes to give me a good bye kiss in the morning, as I am getting ready for work.  How many times have I kissed him holding a blow dryer in my hand or a curling iron in my hair?  Or how many times have I kissed him with one eye on something else, the clock, the dogs, the TV?


Colossians 3:23 says, "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."  Now I am sure a kiss is not what Paul was referring to in this verse.  (Though it does come out of the same passage as wives submit to your husbands, and husbands love your wives.)  But it is talking about doing the best you can, putting everything you have into what you are doing.  Being focused on that one thing, and putting your whole heart into it.  Why not apply that to a kiss?

If I want to be "kissed like that" I need to be anxiously anticipating and ready.  Or better yet, I need to surprise Brett and be the initiator.  So, if you are near that important person in your life, take a minute, and kiss them like you mean it.
Thanks for reading.


       

    

No comments:

Post a Comment