Friday, July 7, 2017

Life in the Dash








I had a very strange Monday this week.  I got to be in the middle of life and death, joy and sorrow, a beginning and an end.

God has blessed me with TWO best friends and they were at extreme places in life this week.  I received a text from my friend Angie Monday morning saying her daughter in law was in labor and they were at the hospital.  They were waiting with wonderful joyous expectation for Emma Jo to arrive.

Not thirty minutes later I received a text from my friend Elaine saying her Father in law Guy Shaw was dying.  His health had been fading for a little while but the reality of what could possibly happen that day was sinking in.

As the day went on I text back and forth with both of these dear friends.  Sharing in the excitement and praying for Abby and Emma Jo.  Empathizing and praying for the pain of my other friend as her heart broke for members of her family who came and went that day to say their goodbyes.

Texts from Angie were filled with excitement, anticipation, and longing for what was to come. Texts from Elaine were filled with sadness, grief, and memories of a life well lived.

One thing they had in common though was hope.  Angie was looking at hope in the form of what lies ahead.  A whole new life just beginning.  A story that had just begun.  A life of days filled with Gigi kisses and hugs, watching this precious little girls story in God unfold over the years.

Elaine was looking at the hope of eternity.  Knowing that even in this death there was hope.  The hope in knowing this precious man who had been like a Father to her would probably that day meet his heavenly Father.  Knowing that with the hope found in Jesus one day again she would see him in eternity.

I received a text from Angie saying Emma Jo had entered the world at 1:58 PM.  I received a text from Elaine within 30 minutes of that saying Guy had passed away.

Life, death, beginnings, and endings they are all a part of life.  I am sure you have read the saying that on each tombstone there is a date marking the beginning of our life.  For Emma Jo that was June 5, 2017.  There is also a date marking the end of our life here on earth.  For Guy that was June 5, 2017.  But more important than those dates is the little dash in between.

How we spend that dash is what matters.  Did we love those around us well?  Did we teach our children to love God?  Did we tell others about Jesus?  Did we show others Jesus in our actions?  Did we take time for people?  Did we love those around us, even the ones who are hard to love? The important thing in that dash is the people in our lives.

I was fortunate enough to get to visit Angie that night to hold Emma Jo and to get to give Angie a hug of congratulations.  I was also fortunate enough to be able to see Elaine Thursday night and give her a hug and share in her sorrow for just a moment.

Your dash is a very little mark, how will you spend it?

John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another."

No comments:

Post a Comment