Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Do I Really Practice Generosity?



                       



Can I really say that I am a generous person?  Sure, I will pick up the person's order behind me at McDonald's in the morning.  It is usually a tea or coffee rarely over $5.00.  Is $5.00 really a sacrifice to me?  Am I going to have to do without something if I spend that $5.00?  No.

I also donate to Renew, is that being generous?  Not really, what do I usually donate?  Things that no longer fit, things that I no longer like, things that are probably out of style.  Things that I feel I no longer need.  Things that I probably didn't need when I purchased them.  That is not being generous, that is cleaning out my closet.  I don't donate my favorite shirt or favorite pair of flip flops.

Doing those things are kind, but they are not really sacrificial giving.

I had something happen last week that has really made me stop and think about my giving.

I went to McDonald's last week on my way to work to pick up my normal morning tea.  I have been blessed on more than one occasion by someone in front of me buying my order.  And it always makes my day.  It makes me smile, feel thankful, and reminds me there are still nice people running around.
On this morning when I pulled up to the window the girl said he paid for your order.  I said who the person in front of me?  She smiled and said no he did, as she pointed to her fellow employee standing there by her.  There were 3 employees standing there together.  I could tell by their smiles that they had probably taken turns paying for orders.

I was very humbled.  This was not a kid who probably lived at home with his parents.  These were all adult employees.  This was someone who works hard for his money, who probably doesn't make much more than the minimum wage.  Yet he sacrificially paid for my drink.  I almost had tears in my eyes.  I said that is so nice, you don't know how much you made my day.  I couldn't say thank you enough.

Is my giving a sacrifice?  Does it really cost me anything?  Do I even notice the impact of my giving on my wallet?

Jesus gave us the perfect example of sacrificial giving.  His life.   It cost him everything and impacted the world. My generosity doesn't even begin to come close.

Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  




No comments:

Post a Comment