Monday, April 25, 2016

What do I want to be when I grow up?

                                                           


                             





I have this really sweet friend named Melissa.  Melissa is in college and struggling with what she really wants to do with her life.  It really is a sucky system you know.  We ask these poor young people to decide what they want to do with the rest of their life, before they even get out of high school.  They barely are learning who they are, let alone what they want to do forever.  It is very stressful Melissa I do feel for you.

In fact I still find myself asking what I want to do with my life. In St Louis I had this very bad habit of changing careers every 5 years.  Not just jobs, I would start completely over in a new field.  I like change.  I have worked in day care, many different retail stores, customer service in the automotive field, medical field, financial industry, and now the transportation industry.  That is quiet a wide variety of not knowing what I want to do.

In fact even in serving I struggle with what am I suppose to be doing?  Am I in the area God wants me to be in?  Am I where God wants me to be in my job, in my service??  Does God really care where I work or where I serve?  I know God has a plan for my life.  I know he gives me certain talents and gifts to use.  But is God really as concerned about where I use them, as he is to how I use them?

I believe what God really wants is for me to imitate Him wherever I am.

1.  To work as he did, with integrity.  Colossians 3:23 "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."  Makes sense right?  If no matter what job I am doing I apply myself as if I am doing it for God then I should be bringing my very best.

2.  To love others as he did. Ephesians 4:32 "Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."  Wow, what would the work force look like if we applied this verse every day?  If I were kind and forgiving each day instead of mean and selfish how would my work place change?

3.  To always put Him first.  Proverbs 3:6 "In everything you do, put God first, and he will direct you and crown your efforts with success."  Pretty straight forward right?  If I make sure to always put God first and never let my job come before him this verse says I will succeed.  Not that I will be rich but that I will succeed.

So, I believe if  we imitate Him, no matter what we do, we will be at peace and succeed in whatever career path we choose.  Even if we change careers every 5 years.            

No comments:

Post a Comment