Tuesday, May 17, 2016

GET UP!!

"Get up!  Why are you lying on your face like this?"

I came across that verse in Joshua 7 this morning.  It is the Lord's words to Joshua, but I know I have heard those same words from God before.

A brief recap of what was happening in Joshua's life.  The Israelites went to fight Ai.  The Israelites only took part of their army because Ai was small.  They were confident after their battle at Jericho that this would be an easy conquer for them.  They got their behinds kicked.  Joshua could not understand why - he and  the elders tore their clothing, threw dust on their heads and bowed face down to the ground before the ark of the Lord.  They stayed there til evening.  When Joshua cried out why?  The Lords's response was.  Get up!  Why are you lying on your face like this?

I may not spend the day with my face bowed down to the ground, but there are days when my demeanor really is the same.  When I am feeling like whoa is me, my life is so rough. I walk around with my shoulders slumped, my eyes downcast.  I focus on my feet.  On those days if I call out to God he usually says Look up! Why are you walking around with your face like this?

If I look up, my attitude usually changes.  I can not look at the sky without feeling the presence of a loving creator.  Whether in the day with a blue sky, fluffy clouds, or even a thunderstorm, I can not look up without knowing the wonder and awe of my God.  In the dark of night you can not look up and see a sky full of stars on a blanket of black velvet, or a perfect moon, and not know there is something far bigger than me.  

In Joshua's story the reason for their defeat was sin in the camp.  In my story usually the same.  If I am walking around feeling defeated, a lot of times there is sin in my camp, laziness, selfishness, pride, bitterness, or jealousy.  Joshua had to get up, find the sin and remove it, then he was victorious again.  I need to look up, recognize my sin, confess it, then I can live a victorious walk.

What about you?  Does God ever say, Get up!  Why are you lying on your face like this?

Matt Maher's song "Rise Up" sums this up well.  







        

No comments:

Post a Comment