Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Momma's praying heart




"Mama's prayers were always with me in the battlefields of life.  She prayed for me and said amen in the name of Jesus Christ."  Those are words from an old Merle Haggard song, "Mama's Prayers".

THERE IS NOT A TOOL WE HAVE AS MOM'S MORE POWERFUL THAN PRAYER.

I have prayed for my children in so many stages of their lives, and in each stage my prayers were different. When they were little I prayed that God would protect them.  I was a young mom who didn't know anything.   Those simple prayers may very well have kept them alive.

I began praying more earnestly for them when they started school.  My walk with God was closer then, so I was praying more.  I prayed they would do well at school.  I prayed when they had a test.  I prayed they would choose good friends and make good choices.

As they got into Jr High I began to pray for their future spouses.  I prayed that God was protecting them.  That they were being raised in Christian homes. I continued to pray for the protection of my children, I prayed they did well in school.  I prayed they were honoring God in their actions.

When my children started high school and started driving and started having more freedoms, I started praying if they were doing anything wrong, anything they shouldn't be doing that they would get caught.  If they were going to start down a wrong path I wanted that stopped before it began.

When they married I prayed for their marriages, and relationships.  I prayed Chris would be a good leader of his home.  I prayed Brittany would be a wife who respected her husband.

There came a point somewhere in their adult lives that I began to pray about their faith.  That it would be strong, and that it would be their own.  That it would be real.  The holy spirit began to say to me would you add to that prayer "no matter what it takes"?  Would you be brave enough to say "make my children's faith real to them no matter what it takes?"

Let me tell you, as a Mom that is a scary request.  That is a scary prayer to pray.  But I did.  I have watched my kids both go through difficult times.  Times that tried their faith and made them cling to Him.  I don't think God used those prayers of mine to cause difficult situations in my kids lives.  I believe those prayers were to increase my faith in God.  For me to trust in God's plan for my kids and not my own.

As a Mom one of the greatest things you can do is pray for your kids and then trust God's plan for their life.

1 Samuel 1:27 says, "For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him."

3 John 1:4 "I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."

Moms and Dads there is no greater gift you can give your children than your prayers.








No comments:

Post a Comment