Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Perspective




The weather is warming up again, so Brett and I are able to walk outside.  Thank goodness, because the treadmill drives me insane after awhile.  Last Saturday morning we were out walking on some of the back roads around our house.  I looked over and said, "look at that pretty field of purple flowers." Brett's response was, "I think those are weeds."

We walked a little further down the road, and Brett said, "did you see that burrito?"  I was looking all over for a burrito and could not find one anywhere.  I said, "where did you see a burrito?"  He said, "it was smashed in that bag on the road."  I saw what looked like a trash sack.

We had not walked more than a quarter of a mile when Brett said, "look they have their garden spot tilled up already."  Once again I was looking all over for a garden area.  I said, "do you mean that field that is plowed up?"

I just started laughing out loud.  Because in that one mile of our walk, there were three specific examples of how we see things differently.  It is all about our perspective.  A perspective shaped by where we are, where we have been, and where we are going?

It is the same with our individual images of who or what we think God is.  God's image never changes.  He doesn't change.  His character doesn't change. He doesn't change his mind on a whim. But where we are, where we have been, and where we are going in our lives can change our perspective of how we see God.

Brett saw weeds, a burrito, and a garden spot.  I saw flowers, a bag, and a field.  Yet, we were both looking at the same things.  It was our perspective that made us see things different.  God is always the same, it is our view of Him that makes us see him different.

We need to make sure we are reading our Bible so that our perspective of God matches up with His true image.

Isaiah 55:8  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment