Thursday, April 13, 2017

Terrible Two Tantrums




The sweet little girl in this picture is my great-niece Harper Grace. Is she not the cutest?  They live in Oklahoma, so we don't get to see them very often.  But, I am pretty sure her Mom must have pinched her to get this picture because every time I saw her, she has been all smiles and giggles.

The more I look at this picture it just makes me laugh. This picture has a ton of blog ideas that I could write about.  Starting with the dog at the back door that doesn't seem phased at all by the outburst.
Or I could write about the spotlessly clean kitchen of a Mom of two toddlers.  But let's face it the story in this picture is the look on this little girls face.

As I look at Harper's face in this picture, I wonder if this is what I look like to God sometimes.  She is obviously upset.  The fact that her Momma took the time to take a picture tells me she isn't hurt, she is just mad.  Based on her age I assume that she is mad because she didn't get her way about something.

I have a feeling sometimes when I don't get my way I look like this to God.  I may pout, stomp my feet, hold my breath, and cry real tears.  When the yes I am waiting on turns out to be a no.  When my house doesn't sell.  When I don't get the job, I applied for.   When what I had planned turns out not to be God's plan. When I thought I was moving to Hawaii and that falls through. When I don't get my way how do I react?

For Harper Grace, this little tantrum is expected because she is almost two.  And this picture her Mom had the foresight to take will be cute to show everyone someday when she turns 18 or 21. But if she is still throwing tantrums like that at 18 or 21 that really isn't so cute.

It is the same for me.  The more mature I become in my faith, those tantrums are no longer cute.  As my faith grows, I should be able to control my emotions. When things don't go the way I had planned, I should trust that God has a better plan.  When I can not see the end or the outcome, God's past faithfulness should carry me through the blind spots.

I checked with Harpers Momma, she said she thought Harper was crying because she made her stop climbing into a chair.  Why did her Momma stop her?  Because she's super mean, right?  No, because she has a great Mom who didn't want her to fall and get hurt.  Is is possible God doesn't always give me my way because he is protecting me?  We have a good, good Father who loves and protects us.

“Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”  — Matthew 7:9-11     

No comments:

Post a Comment